Choose from a range of webinar topics
Whether you’re starting out, wanting to grow your super, or even preparing for your retirement - we have a range of webinars designed to help you.
You can choose from a range of topics, including:
- Getting started with GESB Super
- Start your super journey early
- Investment basics
- Insurance - protecting your lifestyle
- Salary sacrificing in super
- Building wealth through super
- West State Super, why is it so different?
- Learning about Gold State Super
- Understanding super for higher income earners
- Women and super
- Leaving the public sector
- Understanding your statement - GESB Super and West State Super members
- Accessing your super
- Transition to retirement
- Are you on track for retirement?
- How much do I need for retirement?
- Budgeting for retirement
Getting started with GESB Super
If you're one of our new members, this 30-minute webinar will help you learn to:
- Grow your super by making extra contributions including salary sacrifice, minimising the fees you pay, and combining your accounts
- Understand risk profiles and investment options
- Protect your lifestyle with insurance in super
- Manage your super online
Start your super journey early
Your retirement may be many years away, but this means you have time to grow your investment and build your retirement savings.
In this 30-minute webinar, you'll see that if you start making regular contributions to your super sooner rather than later, your money will continue to grow over time. Compounded over 20, 30 or even 40 years, these contributions could make a difference to your future retirement lifestyle.
You don't have to be an experienced investor to understand how your super is invested and choose the right investment plan for your needs. This 30-minute webinar will help you understand basic investment concepts, such as tax, budgeting and asset classes.
You'll also learn why it's important to protect your lifestyle with insurance and estate planning.
Insurance - protecting your lifestyle
Find out how you can maintain your lifestyle if you had to stop working because of illness or injury, and how to provide for the people who are most important to you in the future.
This 30-minute webinar will explain:
- The benefits of having insurance through your super
- The different types of insurance we provide
- The risks of not having enough insurance
- How much cover is enough
- The benefits of automatic acceptance
Salary sacrificing in super
In this 30-minute webinar, you'll explore how you can ‘sacrifice’ part of your before-tax salary to your super account, instead of having it paid to you as a salary. Learn through case studies how this strategy can be a tax-effective way to boost your balance.
Building wealth through super
This 30-minute webinar introduces super concepts to help you maximise opportunities to grow your super. You’ll learn about:
- Investing for the long term
- What super is and why it’s valuable
- Asset classes, unit pricing, investment performance and investment choice
- Tax advantages of super
West State Super, why is it so different?
In this 45-minute webinar, you'll learn more about the unique features of your West State Super, including:
- How your untaxed scheme means 100% of your employer and personal contributions are invested, which helps your super to grow
- How to make the most of your account, including how to choose your investment plan and optimise your insurance
- How the untaxed plan cap of $1.515 million1 works and how you can salary sacrifice more than you could if you were in a taxed scheme
1 For the 2019/20 financial year, indexed annually in line with Average Weekly Ordinary Time Earnings, in increments of $5,000 rounded down. The untaxed plan cap applies for each untaxed scheme you are a member of.
Learning about Gold State Super
In this 45-minute webinar, you'll learn more about the benefits and features of your Gold State Super, including:
- How your Final Benefit is calculated
- Working part time and how this impacts your Gold State Super
- How your final average salary is calculated
- What is salary maintenance and how it works
- How your insurance works
Understanding super for higher income earners
If you're a high-income earner, you might need to do more work before you retire to help maintain your lifestyle during retirement. This 30-minute webinar will suit you if you're earning over $100,000 per annum and will cover:
- Asset classes and the role they play in your investments
- How to contribute to your super and how this can benefit you
- Overview of strategies to boost your super
- How to work out your next steps and what help is available
- Tax treatment of super
Women and super
Statistics show that on average, women retire with less than half the amount of super than men1.
In this 30-minute webinar you’ll get to understand your super and learn how to secure your own financial future.
Leaving the public sector
If you’re considering leaving the public sector by resigning, retiring or taking a redundancy, this 30-minute webinar will help you explore how your super may change. You’ll learn:
- What happens to your Gold State Super
- What happens to your West State Super or GESB Super
- How your insurance changes
Understanding your statement - GESB Super and West State Super members
Your member statement gives you more than just your account balance. In this 30-minute webinar for GESB Super and West State Super members, you'll explore a typical statement and learn what many of the sections mean.
Accessing your super
As you get closer to your preservation age, you have several options for accessing your super. This 45-minute webinar will cover:
- The options available for accessing your super
- The tax implications of taking your super
- What to consider when accessing your super under 60
- Retirement income streams
- Your transition to retirement options
Transition to retirement
Once you reach your Commonwealth preservation age, and are considering your options for retirement, you may want to think about a transition to retirement strategy.
This 45-minute webinar will explain what a transition to retirement strategy is and help you discover more about the financial benefits available to you, such as:
- Increasing your super - you can continue to work and sacrifice some of your salary to super
- Reducing your hours - you can work less without reducing your overall income, as your pension can make up for your lower salary
- Increasing your income - you can receive an income stream from a pension as well as your normal salary
Are you on track for retirement?
In this 30-minute webinar you’ll learn about things to consider when preparing for your retirement, with topics including:
- What is retirement?
- How much do you need to retire?
- Investment basics - risk and return
- What to do to stay on track
How much do I need for retirement?
This 30-minute webinar will answer the most common questions you might have about planning for your retirement. Most people want to know how much they will have, and how much they will need to live the lifestyle they want in the future. We can show you how to work out how much you will actually need, based on your own personal circumstances.
Budgeting for retirement
To help you afford and enjoy your retirement years, it’s important to plan ahead and take control of your finances early.
In this webinar, we’ll explain how you can:
- Plan how much annual income you may need in retirement
- Work out what costs you could expect in retirement
- Track your spending habits and manage your money
- Make the most of your retirement income
1 Superannuation account balance by age and gender, Ross Claire, Director of Research, The Association of Superannuation Funds of Australia (ASFA).
- Retirement Options Service
- Call us on 13 43 72
Thank you for printing this page. Remember to come back to gesb.wa.gov.au for the latest information as our content is updated regularly. This information is correct as at 26 February 2020.