Third party authorities

To access information about one of our members directly from us, you will need a valid third party authority.

With a third party authority, a member can give their adviser, or another person or organisation (the ‘third party’), access to information about their account.

We can only release a member’s information directly to another person if we have the member’s written consent1.

What information can we release under a third party authority?

A third party authority allows the authorised person (or employee, if the authority is for an organisation) to access information about a member and their accounts.

This may include:

  • The member’s personal and employment details
  • Their account balance
  • Details of transactions
  • Information about how their funds are invested
  • Details of insurance within their account

A third party authority doesn’t allow the authorised person to make any changes to a member’s account or personal details, or carry out any transactions on their behalf.

How to apply for an authority

We accept applications from both members and third parties who are representing a member.

To apply for an authority, please download our Third party authority form, and ensure all relevant sections are completed.

By using the form, you’ll know exactly what details we need to accept your authority. This means we’ll be less likely to contact you or the member for more information, which helps us to grant the authority in a timely manner.

Third party authorities are valid for up to two years but may be cancelled earlier.

If an authority is no longer valid, or a member would like to extend an existing authority, they will need to contact us directly to provide a written update.

Download our Third party authority form

For more information, please contact our Member Services Centre on 13 43 72.

1 To protect our members’ privacy, we will only release the information to another person if we have their written consent, unless we are required to provide such information by law i.e. to Centrelink.

Page last updated 31 December 2020