We’ve answered some of our frequently asked questions (or FAQ's) for you on this page. To find an answer to your question, you can search for keywords in the search box or choose from the categories and topics along the side of the page.

1 - 30 of 113 results for Member FAQ
Refine by

Refine by

Type : all





  1. Fully-matching results

  2. How to calculate your Gold State Super

    Gold State Super is a defined benefit scheme. This means your Final Benefit is determined by applying a fixed, or 'defined', formula. On this page we’ll explain how you can calculate your Gold State Super benefit.

    Action summary
    • Time it takesIt can take up to 20 minutes to...
    Read more
  3. What is salary maintenance and how does it work?

    Your Gold State Super Final Benefit is based on your Gold State Super remuneration.

    If your equivalent full-time Gold State Super remuneration is reduced, your benefit will also be reduced.

    Salary maintenance allows you to preserve the value of the benefit that you have already accrued, and could help to protect the...

    Read more
  4. When you can access your super

    Your super is designed to help you save for retirement and has tax benefits, so there are rules about when you can access the money.

    To get your super, you need to have reached what’s known as your Commonwealth preservation age.

    Your Commonwealth preservation age is based on when you were born...

    Read more
  5. How to start salary sacrificing

    Salary sacrifice contributions are a simple way to grow your super. You can contribute to your GESB Super or West State Super account through your payroll if you’re currently working in the WA public sector.

    If you’re a Gold State Super member and you would like to make salary sacrifice contributions...

    Read more
  6. How to withdraw a lump sum

    If you have retired and opened an RI Allocated Pension account, you can make lump-sum withdrawals from your account.

    To make a lump-sum withdrawal, you need to:

    Read more
  7. How to claim or vary a tax deduction

    GESB Super members only

    You may be able to claim a tax deduction for personal concessional contributions you have made to your super account with us.

    Due to Federal Government changes to the rules relating to super, members are not eligible to claim a tax deduction for personal contributions received after 30...

    Read more
  8. How to make a claim

    To make a claim, please call us on 13 43 72 between 7.30am and 5.30pm (AWST), Monday to Friday. Our insurance claims consultants will help you with lodging your claim, and provide you with updates until an outcome is reached....

    Read more
  9. How to make your first spouse contribution

    Making a contribution to your spouse’s super is a great way to build your shared retirement savings.

    There is no minimum contribution you need to make. If your spouse doesn’t already have an account with us, we will automatically open a GESB Super account for them.

    Below you’ll find the steps you...

    Read more
  10. Redundancy and your super

    Redundancy can have a serious impact on you and it is important to know how it can impact your super and what you can do.

    Your entitlement and benefit options will depend on whether you have turned 55 and reached the Commonwealth preservation age1.

    This page outlines some important information which you...

    Read more
  11. Who is a casual employee?

    A casual employee means you are:

    • Engaged by a Participating Employer (an employer that is eligible to make contributions to your GESB Super or West State Super account)
    • Paid at an hourly rate
    • Not entitled to be paid annual leave or sick leave in your employment

    You are also considered a casual employee if...

    Read more
  12. Can casual employees apply for insurance cover?

    Yes. If you opt in within 90 days of us receiving your employer’s first Superannuation Guarantee (SG) contribution, you may be eligible for basic cover. If you apply after 90 days, or if you apply for a higher level of cover...

    Read more
  13. Do casual employees automatically receive insurance cover?

    No - if you started employment as a casual employee on or after 1 July 2010, you aren’t eligible for automatic basic cover.

    You may be able to opt in for basic cover without completing a full insurance application. To apply, you’ll need to...

    Read more
  14. If I change from casual to non-casual work, do I automatically receive cover?

    No - if you were initially employed on a casual basis, and you are later made permanent or employed on a contract with the same employer, we don’t reassess your eligibility for insurance cover.

    You can still apply for cover, but you would need to complete a full insurance application. You...

    Read more
  15. What insurance cover is automatically provided?

    If your employer pays your Superannuation Guarantee (SG) contributions into your GESB Super or West State Super and you’re under 65 and meet certain eligibility criteria, you will be automatically covered for:

    • Death and Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD)
    • Salary Continuance Insurance

    If you started working on a casual basis on or after...

    Read more
  16. What is Death and Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD) cover?

    Death cover provides a one-off lump-sum payment in the event of your death (and includes a terminal illness benefit1).

    TPD cover provides a one-off lump-sum payment if you are totally and permanently disabled and can’t work because of that condition.

    1 Death cover also entitles you to claim for a terminal...

    Read more
  17. What is Salary Continuance Insurance (SCI) cover?

    Salary Continuance Insurance (SCI) provides a monthly income of up to 75% of your pre-disability annual income for up to two years if you become disabled due to sickness or injury. In addition, you may also be entitled to a Superannuation Top-Up Benefit.

  18. Who is eligible for automatic insurance cover?

    If you are under 65 years old when you join GESB Super or if you’re already a West State Super member, you’re automatically eligible for:

    • Death (including Terminal Illness) cover
    • Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD) cover
    • Salary Continuance Insurance cover

    If you became a GESB Super or West State Super member after you turned...

    Read more
  19. What insurance options are available?

    If you’re like most GESB Super and West State Super members, your Death cover, Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD) cover and Salary Continuance Insurance (SCI) cover will be provided as:

    • Basic cover - which is the standard level of cover provided to eligible members. The amount of cover is explained below.
    • Voluntary...
    Read more
  20. How much does insurance cover cost?

    If you’re a GESB Super or West State Super member, the cost of Death and TPD insurance cover depends on your age, gender, occupation category, type and amount of cover. If you need to be assessed by our Insurer, the Insurer may also consider other factors.

    Occupations are categorised into broad...

    Read more
  21. How to apply for insurance

    If you’re a GESB Super or West State Super member, you have automatic access to three types of insurance cover:

    • Death (including Terminal Illness) cover
    • Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD) cover
    • Salary Continuance Insurance cover

    These can be tailored to suit your individual needs. Here’s how you can apply to increase your insurance cover...

    Read more
  22. How to change your insurance

    Your insurance needs change throughout your life. After any major lifestyle change, it’s important to check you have the right level of cover to support your partner or family, should anything happen to you.

    On this page you’ll find the steps you need to take to make changes to your insurance...

    Read more
  23. How to join our Professional and Executive occupation category

    If you’re a GESB Super or West State Super member with insurance cover, you might be eligible to join our Professional and Executive occupation category. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you could keep your current level of cover but reduce the premiums you pay. There are two ways you...

    Read more
  24. How unpaid leave affects your insurance

    At some point in your career, you may need to take unpaid leave. The impact your leave will have on your super and insurance cover will depend on the length of time you take and the reason why you take it.

    Unpaid leave for GESB Super and West State Super members


    Read more
  25. How military leave affects your insurance

    If you’re employed in Reserve or Active service in the Australian Defence Forces, taking military leave can impact your insurance with your GESB Super or West State Super account.

    You are not covered while on Active service

    If you are a Reservist, taking leave for the purposes of continuous full-time...

    Read more
  26. Can you give my account information to a third party?

    You can give another person, such as your financial adviser, your partner or a family member, access to your account information with a Third party authority form.

    To protect your privacy, we will only release information about you to another person if we have your written...

    Read more
  27. How to change your details

  28. How military leave affects your super

    If you work in the Australian Defence Forces, being on military leave for Reserve or Active service can have an impact on your super.

    The impact can depend on a number of factors including the type of leave and the type of super account you have with us. The following conditions...

    Read more
  29. Divorce and your super

    The way your super is handled if you separate or divorce is guided by the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) (Family Law Act).

    According to the Family Law Act, your super is treated as property that can be divided between parties in the event of a marriage breakdown. The law allows...

    Read more
  30. Transferring lost super to the ATO

    If your super is defined as lost or unclaimed, here’s what happens next.

    We need to transfer lost super to the Australian Tax Office

    You can be considered a lost member by being uncontactable or inactive:

    • Uncontactable - you have never provided a contact address or one piece of mail or an email...
    Read more
  31. Divorce and your GESB Super

    If you already know what happens to your super when you divorce, we will now take a closer look at what will happen to your GESB Super account.

    The way your super is handled depends on whether your Family Law Court order is dated before or...

    Read more