How to change your insurance
Your insurance needs change throughout your life. After any major lifestyle change, it’s important to check you have the right level of cover to support your partner or family, should anything happen to you.
On this page you’ll find the steps you need to take to make changes to your insurance cover.
- Time it takes
It could take up to 20 minutes to complete the online form
- Hardest thing
Working out how much insurance you’ll need - try the LIFEapp needs analysis calculator if you need help
You’ll have cover that is right for you so you are only paying for the cover you need
There is no cost involved in making the changes, but your premiums will change in line with the changes you make
What you’ll need
- Access to Member Online. If you haven’t registered yet, you can do this now. It will take about 10 minutes
- Call us on 13 43 72 if you have any questions about your insurance cover
1. Login to Member Online
Choose the login button in the top right corner of our website or click this link to go to Member Online. Use your member number and password to login. If you haven’t registered yet, visit the Member Online registration page to register.
2. Select the Insurance tab
Click on ‘Insurance’ in the menu bar in Member Online.
3. Understand your options when changing your insurance policy or details
Below the insurance cover table, you can choose from the following options:
- How much insurance do you need? Use this to calculate how much insurance you may need and get a quote
- Change your insurance. Choose this option to, change some insurance details, or decrease or cancel your cover
- Apply for insurance. Choose this option if you would like to increase your cover or apply for new types of cover
4. Work out how much insurance you need
If you click on ‘how much insurance do you need?’ a message will appear redirecting you to the AIA website. AIA is our Insurer.
Click 'continue' to visit AIA's website.
Once you are on the AIA website, click ‘assess your insurance needs’ and follow the prompts.
5. Change your insurance: update your details
If you click on ‘change your insurance’, you will be guided through some steps to change your cover details.
Step 1. The change your insurance page allows you to:
- Change your occupation category
- Fix your insurance cover
- Decrease or opt-out of your insurance cover
- Increase or decrease your Salary Continuance Insurance (SCI) cover waiting period
If you don't need to change any information on this page, click ‘skip this step’ or 'continue' at the bottom of the page.
You may currently have different categories for your occupation. Any change you make here will apply to all insurance covers.
Select your new occupation category and type in a description of your current occupation.
If you're eligible to opt in to the Professional and Executive occupation category you need to complete the Professional and Executive occupation category application form.
Fix your insurance cover
Click on ‘fix your insurance cover’ to fix your Death and/or Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD) cover.
Note: even if you fix your cover, when you turn 61, the amount of TPD cover to which you are entitled will be reduced each year until you turn 65.
See the Insurance and your super - GESB Super and West State Super brochure to find out more about fixing your insurance cover.
In step 2 you can see how this change affects your premium.
SCI cover waiting period
In this section you can select a new waiting period for your SCI cover. You can increase the waiting period by clicking in the ‘new waiting period’ drop down box.
If you want to decrease your waiting period, you will be taken to the AIA website (our Insurer) to apply for this.
Click 'continue' at the bottom of the page.
6. Change your insurance: change your cover
In step 2 you can increase, decrease or opt out of your insurance.
If you don't need to change any of this information, click ‘skip to step 3’ ‘or 'continue' at the bottom of the page.
To change any of the insurance cover listed in the table, click on the ‘new sum insured’ drop down box. You can then choose to:
- Decrease your insurance in set increments
- Increase your insurance by clicking ‘more’ (this will take you to the AIA website)
- Opt out of the insurance by clicking ‘opt out’
- Select ‘no change’ if you decide not to change your insurance cover
Any change you make will automatically update your proposed premium.
Then, click 'continue' at the bottom of the page.
7. Change your insurance: submit your changes
In step 3 you need to check the changes you've made. The current details are listed next to the proposed details.
If you're happy with the changes, read and click the member declaration tick box, then click ‘submit’ at the bottom of the page.
Note: Any change in your Death and TPD insurance means your insurance will be fixed and will not automatically decrease as you get older. However your TPD cover will automatically reduce annually to nil from your 61st birthday until you turn 65.
See the Insurance and your super, GESB Super and West State Super brochure to find out more about fixing your insurance cover.
8. Applying for insurance
If you click ‘apply for insurance’, a message will appear redirecting you to the AIA website. AIA is our Insurer.
Click 'continue' to go through to the AIA website and follow the prompts.
Once you are on the AIA website you can:
- Assess your insurance needs
- Get a quote
- Apply for insurance
Another way to make changes to your insurance
Member Online is the easiest way to make changes to your insurance cover. If you prefer to work offline, please call us on 13 43 72 for a copy of the relevant form below:
Thank you for printing this page. Remember to come back to gesb.wa.gov.au for the latest information as our content is updated regularly. This information is correct as at 21 January 2021.