As a GESB member, you may already have insurance through your super. We offer different types of cover, depending on which account you have with us.
GESB Super and West State Super
- Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD)
- Salary Continuance Insurance (SCI)
Please note: we won’t be cancelling insurance for inactive members at this stage. Find out more about the Federal Government’s Protecting Your Super changes that came into effect on 1 July 2019.
Important changes to insurance from 1 October 2019
There will be changes to premiums and policy terms and conditions for the Death, Total & Permanent Disablement (TPD) insurance and Salary Continuance Insurance (SCI) offered through GESB Super and West State Super from 1 October 2019.
Please read our Insurance changes notification: GESB Super and West State Super for a summary of the changes to terms and conditions.
Understanding your insurance options
If you’re eligible, you automatically receive what’s known as basic cover, unless you’ve chosen to opt out or have cancelled your cover. The cost of this insurance is deducted directly from your account each month.
If you’re a casual employee, you don’t automatically receive insurance. You may be able to opt-in for basic cover without completing a full insurance application. To apply, you’ll need to complete our Insurance opt in for casual employees form, including the ‘At Work’ declaration, and make sure we receive it within 90 days of the date of your employer’s first Superannuation Guarantee (SG) contribution.
With GESB Super or West State Super insurance, you could also lower your premiums, if you're eligible for our Professional and Executive category.
Find out more about GESB Super insurance.
Find out more about West State Super insurance.
Gold State Super
If you’re a Gold State Super member, your account includes automatic death and disability insurance, at no extra cost, for as long as you’re making contributions, and until you turn 60.
For as long as you’re making contributions, and until you turn 60, you’re covered for:
- Total and permanent disability
- Partial and permanent disability
Find out more about Gold State Super insurance.
You can benefit from insurance through super
By having your insurance within your super account, you can benefit in one or more ways:
- You don’t need to have a medical test or provide your medical history, if you’re eligible for automatic insurance through GESB Super or West State Super
- Insurance premiums are paid from your GESB Super or West State Super account
- If you’re a GESB Super member, you get a 15% rebate for your insurance premiums, which we reimburse to you annually or when you leave the scheme, because they’re tax deductible
- If you’re a West State Super member, insurance premiums are deducted against your pre-tax contributions and earnings first. This means that the untaxed part of your benefit is reduced which may mean less tax is paid when you take your final benefit
- If you’re a Gold State Super member, your account includes automatic death and disability insurance, at no extra cost, for as long as you’re making contributions, and until you turn 60
- Cover is available for hazardous occupations, e.g. police and prison officers
It's also important to note that there are limits to the amount of cover we provide, and that tax may apply to any insurance benefits paid.
Remember to check your insurance
It's important to review your insurance regularly to make sure it’s right for you, especially when your circumstances change. We’ve provided this checklist to help you review your insurance and make sure it’s right for you.
With your insurance through GESB Super or West State Super, you have the option to:
- Increase, decrease or fix your cover
You can apply to increase or choose to decrease or fix the amount of your cover, at any time, through Member Online.
Find out how to change your insurance or how to make a claim.
- Opt out of your cover
You can opt-out of part or all of your cover in Member Online. Please remember that if you’d like to reinstate or increase your insurance cover in the future, you’ll need to apply and meet eligibility criteria.
To find out which super account you have with us, you can:
Thank you for printing this page. Remember to come back to gesb.wa.gov.au for the latest information as our content is updated regularly. This information is correct as at 22 September 2019.