Changing jobs

Starting a new role can be both exciting and daunting, and there can be so much to think about, including what to do with your super. Here are answers to some questions you might have about what happens to your super account when you change jobs.

What if my new job is in the WA public sector?

You can simply keep your account with us open. Just give your member number and account details to your new employer and they’ll then pay your super into this account. You won’t have to set up another account, which saves on fees, and you can keep your current insurance.

I am moving to the private sector, what happens now?

Only WA public sector employers can make employer contributions to your GESB account, so you’ll need to have your new contributions made to another super fund. You can ask your employer who the default super fund is, or you can choose your own fund. The key features you want to look at when selecting a fund are:

  • What are the fees and charges?
  • Does the fund offer life insurance, and how much does it cost?
  • Does the fund offer investment options and strategies that are right for you?
  • What more does the fund offer you?
  • Does the fund have a proven track record in providing services to your industry?

Making an informed decision

Can I keep my GESB account?

Even if you have your employer contributions paid into another super fund, you can still keep the account you hold with us.

If you have a West State Super or GESB Super account, you can keep your account open and even make your own contributions to the fund. West State Super has a number of unique features that are worth knowing about.

West State Super unique features

If you have Gold State Super, your account becomes deferred and you can access this when you turn 55. There are different rules that apply if you are made redundant on or after 30 December 1995.

Gold State Super unique features

What happens to my insurance cover?

If you currently have insurance in your GESB Super or West State Super account, you can keep your Death and Total & Permanent Disablement cover. Your Salary Continuance Insurance cover will end as you’re no longer getting employer contributions paid into that account.

If you have Gold State Super, your insurance only applies while you are contributing to the fund, so your cover will end.

Can I close my account with GESB and roll my super into a new fund?

If you have Gold State Super, your account becomes deferred and you can access this once you turn 55.

If you’re a GESB Super or West State Super member, you can choose to roll your super into a new fund and close your account – but we recommend that you make an informed decision.

Read the information in the pages listed below so that you can understand the unique benefits available to you if you’re a West State Super or Gold State Super member, as your decision may be irreversible. We also strongly recommend you seek financial advice relevant to your situation before making a decision.

More information

Need help

  • Call us on 13 43 72
Page last updated 01 May 2020