How to provide proof of identity

Before you can withdraw part or all of your super, or set up a Retirement Income Pension account, we need to confirm your identity. This is to prove you are the person who owns the super entitlements.

Following the steps below will help us process your application faster and can give your personal information more security and protection.

1. Choose and locate the documents you want to use

You can provide either one certified document from list A OR one certified document from list B, PLUS one certified document from list C.

List A:

  • Current Australian driver’s licence with your photograph and signature or an equivalent from a foreign country
  • Current1 passport2, showing your name, date of birth, photograph and signature
  • Proof of age card3


List B:

  • Birth certificate or birth extract2
  • Citizenship certificate issued by the Commonwealth
  • Pension card issued by Centrelink that entitles you to receive financial benefits

List C:

  • Notice issued by Commonwealth or a state or territory government within the last 12 months that shows your name and residential address and records the provision of financial benefits to you (for example a letter from Centrelink)

  • Notice issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) within the last 12 months that contains your name and residential address and records a tax debt payable to or by you (for example, a notice of assessment)

  • Notice issued by a local government body or utilities provider within the last three months, that contains your name and residential address and records the provision of services to you (for example, a rates notice from a local council or a water bill)

2. Find someone to certify your documents

The following people can certify copies of your original documents as true and correct:

  • A permanent employee of Australia Post with two or more years of continuous service who is employed in an office supplying postal services to the public
  • An officer with, or authorised representative of, a holder of an Australian Financial Services (AFS) licence, who has two or more years' continuous service with one or more licensees
  • A police officer
  • A Justice of the Peace
  • A judge of court
  • A person enrolled on the roll of a State or Territory Supreme Court or the High Court of Australia, as a legal practitioner
  • A notary public
  • A registrar or deputy registrar of a court
  • An Australian consular officer or an Australian diplomatic officer
  • A magistrate
  • A Chief Executive Officer of a Commonwealth court
  • A pharmacist
  • A teacher employed on a full time basis at a school or tertiary institution

The person certifying your documents should not be a family member or relative.

Who can certify your documents if you are not in Australia?

Persons authorised to certify documents outside Australia include the following:

  • Australian Consular Officer
  • Australian Diplomatic Officer
  • Employee of the Australian Trade Commission
  • Employee of the Commonwealth
  • Any person having authority to administer an oath in that place

Information on how to certify your documents is provided on the next step.

3. Have your documents certified by the authorising person

You need to have all copied pages of your original proof of identification documents (including any linking documents) to be certified as true copies by a person who is authorised to do so (see the list above).

The authorising person needs to sight the original document and include the following details on the copies:

  • Stamp or write ‘I certify this is a true copy of the original document’ on each page.

Followed by their:

  • Printed name
  • Signature
  • Qualification (e.g. Justice of the Peace)
  • Date

This image shows an example of a certified proof of identity document. The example uses a sample Australian driver’s licence (including photograph) that has been certified by a Justice of the Peace.

4. Check that you have certified any linking documents, if needed

If you have changed your name or are signing on behalf of the applicant, you will need to provide a certified linking document. A linking document is a document that proves a relationship exists between two (or more) names.

The following table contains information about suitable linking documents.

Linking documents


Suitable linking documents

Change of name

Marriage certificate, deed poll or change of name certificate from Births, Deaths and Marriages registration office

Signed on behalf of the applicant

Western Australian Enduring Power of Attorney or duly appointed administrator4

If your Enduring Power of Attorney was made interstate or overseas, you need to obtain an order from the Western Australian State Administration Tribunal to confirm that your power of attorney can be used in Western Australia.

If you need more information, please call us on 13 43 72.

Changing an incorrect date of birth

If your date of birth is incorrectly listed, you will need to provide a certified identity document in order to update it.

The following table contains information about suitable identity documents.

Identity documents


Suitable identity documents

Change date of birth5

  • Driver's license
  • Passport
  • Proof of age card

If you need more information, please contact your Member Services Centre on 13 43 72.

1 The only exception to the expired document rule is a passport. An expired passport is a valid identity document provided it has been expired for less than two years.
2 If your passport or birth certificate/extract is not in English, it must be accompanied by an English translation prepared by an accredited translator. If your passport is not an Australian passport it must include your signature.
3 A card issued under a law under a state or territory law for the purpose of proving the person’s age, which contains a photograph of the person in whose name the document is issued.
4 Including an administrator, or joint administrators, appointed pursuant to the Guardianship and Administration Act 1990 (WA) authorised to act in regards to financial matters. You or the administrator may be required to produce an order made by the State Administrative Tribunal of Western Australia duly appointing the administrator.
5 Insurance cover is based on the details we have on record, including your date of birth. Amending your date of birth may affect your insurance cover including the amount of premiums that you pay.

Page last updated 13 January 2020