Retirement Options Service
Discuss your retirement plans with an expert
Our Retirement Options Service (ROS) is a 60-minute, one-on-one meeting1 with one of our experienced consultants, who know and understand our unique schemes.
They will provide you with factual information about your specific situation, answer any questions you have and explain the options you have for your retirement.
The 60 minutes will include time to document a summary of your appointment and provide you with specific handouts to support the information presented to you.
What you get out of the service
The topics you discuss will vary, depending on your situation and any specific requirements that you may have. Before your appointment, a consultant will get in touch to discuss what your needs are and what you’d like to discuss in your appointment.
You have control over the topics you want to cover to get the most from your session.
Our consultants can provide you with factual information and details on:
- Retirement income streams and how they work
- How to open a Retirement Income Pension account, including getting help with paperwork
- How to increase your super before you retire
- Transition to retirement strategies
- Conditions of super release
- Tax in retirement
- Centrelink entitlements
We can also talk about the unique features of Gold State Super and West State Super.
You might find some of the answers you’re looking for on our Gold State Super frequently asked questions pages - or your ROS consultant can give you information tailored to your situation.
Questions that are often asked include:
Gold State Super
- How is my benefit calculated?
- What effect does pre-1 July 1983 service have on my account?
- What is the difference between salary sacrifice and after-tax contributions?
- What happens to my account if I don't want to access it once I am retired?
- What happens to my account if I don't meet a condition of release and have left WA State Government employment?
- At what stage might I withdraw from Gold State Super?
- How does transition to retirement impact my Service Multiple?
- How can salary maintenance benefit me?
- What is my optimum Retirement Date?
- What are the tax considerations unique to Gold State Super?
West State Super
- What is the impact of pre-1 July 1983 service?
- What does untaxed fund mean?
- How does salary sacrifice help me reduce tax?
- How much can I salary sacrifice per year?
- Can I make personal contributions?
- When can I access my super?
- Do I need to access my super if I'm over 65 and no longer working?
Who can book a ROS appointment?
These sessions are generally suited to you if you are approaching or planning for retirement but any of our members can book a ROS appointment.
What you need to prepare
You’ll get the most out of your appointment, if you’ve previously attended one of our retirement seminars, or are registered for one of our upcoming webinars. These will give you a basic understanding of your retirement options, which means that you can spend more time discussing your specific situation in your appointment.
It will also help if you read more about your GESB accounts before your appointment. For more information, see the relevant Product Information Booklet for your account.
How much does it cost?
A fee of $4902 is charged for ROS. To pay this, you can either:
- Authorise us to deduct the fee directly from your GESB Super, West State Super or Retirement Income Pension account, or
- Pay the fee directly from your nominated cheque or savings account or by credit card (we accept MasterCard and Visa)
If you have an appointment together with another GESB member (e.g. your partner), where both accounts will be discussed, you will be given a double appointment (120 minutes) and each of you will be charged an individual fee. The total fee amount can’t be paid out of one member’s account.
If you have an appointment and have someone with you who is not a GESB member (e.g. your partner), only a single session will be arranged, and one fee charged (as this service is not available to non-members).
To book an appointment, you can either:
- Email our ROS team to find a time that suits you by selecting the 'book now' button below (please include your full name, member number and best contact number) - one of our ROS consultants will be in touch with you within five working days
- Use our Live chat service or call your Member Services Centre on 13 43 72 between 7.30am and 5.30pm (AWST), Monday to Friday
1 ROS is not financial planning advice.
2 This fee is subject to annual indexation, which will be applied on 1 July each year.
Disclaimer: information provided to you in your ROS appointment is of a factual or general nature only and doesn't take into account your complete financial situation. Your ROS consultant can only discuss the options you have for the super you hold with us, and is not able to make any recommendations. If you are looking for more complex financial planning advice, your consultant can provide you with a list of questions that may help when choosing a financial adviser.
- Book into a webinar
- Call us on 13 43 72
Thank you for printing this page. Remember to come back to gesb.wa.gov.au for the latest information as our content is updated regularly. This information is correct as at 05 August 2020.