Get personal financial advice

Financial advice tailored to your own circumstances

The more you know about your super, the better prepared you can be for your retirement - and we’re here to help you with general information. You might like to get Simple Advice, attend a seminar or webinar, or even book a face-to-face Retirement Options Service appointment.

You might have a complex financial situation and need a tailored financial plan. In this case, we suggest you seek personal financial advice from a qualified and appropriately licensed financial adviser.

How personal advice might help you

Personal advice can help you clarify your current situation, define your future goals and take the necessary steps to implement them.

If you choose a well-informed financial adviser, they will tailor their advice around your own unique situation. Depending on their qualifications and experience, their advice could cover a range of topics including budgeting, investing, saving, paying off debt, tax strategies and retirement.

Personal advice may not be for everyone

You might have the expertise to successfully handle your own finances, including super and investments.

Our Simple Advice and Retirement Options Service could also be useful in planning for your future, but they are limited and general in nature as we can’t take your complete financial situation into account.

How to find an adviser

If you are considering personal financial advice, only approach advisers who are employed by or are authorised to represent a business that holds an Australian Financial Services (AFS) licence. An AFS licence can cover advice on super, insurance, shares, managed funds and other general banking products. Here are some other tips to help you find the right adviser:

  • Search for an adviser through a professional association such as The Financial Planning Association (FPA) or Certified Practising Accountants (CPA) Australia, who will have a list of their members who are financial advisers in your area.
  • Check your adviser holds a licence, or is employed by a licensed advisory business. The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) licenses and regulates the financial advisory industry. You can check licence details on the ASIC website.
  • To protect yourself, be aware of individuals and companies listed on ASIC’s register of unlicensed providers
  • If an unlicensed provider offers you services, you can help warn others by reporting them to a government agency. For information on how to report a scam, visit the MoneySmart website.

Check your adviser is licenced

Preparing to meet your adviser

It is important that your adviser understands our unique super schemes, especially the complexities of defined benefit or untaxed schemes if you have a Gold State Super or West State Super account.

We have prepared some general questions and information to help you when looking for a financial adviser as well as more specific questions relevant to your own GESB scheme.

Be sure to check which of our super schemes you are in, so you can look at the right questions. If you are unsure which scheme you are in, check your Member Statement, Member Online or contact your Member Services Centre on 13 43 72.

Need help

Page last updated 28 April 2017