Review your insurance in five simple steps
If you currently have insurance with us, use this checklist to help you review your insurance and make sure it’s right for you.
1. Understand your insurance cover
GESB Super and West State Super members have access to three types of insurance cover: Death, Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD), and Salary Continuance Insurance (SCI). If you are eligible, your insurance was set up automatically when you joined. Your insurance premiums are deducted directly from your account each month.
You can change your insurance to better suit your needs by choosing different amounts of cover, subject to terms and conditions. Your insurance can be cancelled at any time. You are also able to use the Australian Taxation Office services through myGov to check if you have super and insurance with other super funds.
- To learn more about your insurance, please read our Insurance and your super brochure.
2. Work out how much cover you need
Everyone’s need for insurance is different. Our Insurer provides a tool to help you assess your insurance needs, calculate your monthly premiums and apply for additional cover online.
- Log into Member Online, select ‘Insurance’ in the menu bar, and then click the ‘how much insurance do you need’ button to go to AIA’s website.
3. Make any changes to your insurance
You can change your insurance details through Member Online. For handy step-by-step instructions on how to use Member Online, see our Member Online help guide.
- Check and make changes to your insurance through Member Online.
4. Revisit your insurance needs often
Remember to keep us informed of any change to your insurance details, especially when you change jobs, as your insurance cover and premiums may be affected.
Likewise, you should review your insurance needs when you go through changes such as getting married, having children or buying a house. It’s important you have the right level of cover to support yourself, your partner or family, should anything happen to you. You may also decide you no longer need insurance, or that having less cover is enough.
- Create a reminder for yourself to review your insurance yearly or whenever your circumstances change.
5. Need more help with your insurance?
Insurance in super can be complex, but we’re here to help. Although we can’t provide advice on what type of insurance is right for you, or how much cover you’ll need, we can provide factual information about the insurance that we offer. If you need to talk to us about your insurance, call us on 13 43 72 between 7.30am and 5.30pm (AWST), Monday to Friday.
- Contact your Member Services Centre on 13 43 72 if you have questions about your insurance.
We recommend you visit Member Online regularly and follow the steps in this checklist. It’s a quick and easy way of keeping your insurance up to date and ensuring it remains right for you.
Thank you for printing this page. Remember to come back to gesb.wa.gov.au for the latest information as our content is updated regularly. This information is correct as at 30 May 2020.